Sight Word Smash

Posted on Posted in 1st Grade Reading, 2nd & 3rd Grade Reading, Reading Games

Photo credit: roomrecess.com

Sight Word Smash is a great way for students to practice identifying sight words. Sight words are a combination of frequently used words, and phonetically irregular words (do not follow the basic rules of phonics). These are words that readers should be able to recognize at first glance, without decoding them. This can be difficult, particularly for dyslexic readers.

Disclaimer: this game requires Flash.

 

Sight words are also called service words, instant words, snap words, high frequency words, Dolch words, or Fry words. Learning all 1,000 words on the Fry Sight Word List with help readers become much more efficient at reading 90% of all words used in books and on the internet. This allows readers to focus their energy on the remaining 10% of words.

Save

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *